20th-Century Church History
The south aisle of the church holds the regimental chapel of the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), and its gardens are a memorial garden to that regiment.
The School of English Church Music (now Royal School of Church Music) had its first London base at St Sepulchre’s and was used regularly for BBC broadcasts in the 1930s.
The young Henry Wood learnt to play the organ in The St Stephen Harding Chapel. He was appointed Assistant Organist at the church, aged 14. Sir Henry Wood became famous for instituting the Promenade Concerts; the longest running continuous series of orchestral concerts in the world. When Sir Henry Wood died in 1944, his ashes were laid to rest in the chapel which was subsequently renamed The Musicians’ Chapel.
St Sepulchre’s has been dedicated as the National Musicians’ Church. Since that time the church has become associated with many famous musicians. The church continues to cultivate links to musicians and musical institutions today through The Friends of the Musicians’ Chapel, Concerts and Recital series, and its own thriving musical tradition.